One-time contribution to TSP


Q. I am a U.S. Postal Service employee covered by CSRS and I have a fellow employee covered by FERS with the same question. Aside from the “catch-up contribution,” is it possible for me to make a one-time contribution to my TSP account. For example, I would like to take the amount of my federal income tax refund and add it into my TSP. I realize that I have already paid income taxes on this money and won’t enjoy the full tax benefits of a “pretax” contribution. I am more interested in building up my TSP balance. FYI, I am in no danger of exceeding the IRS limits for pretax contributions.

A. No, you can’t.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

1 Comment

  1. Yes, the CSRS employee may have the option of participating in the voluntary contribution plan assuming no re-deposits are owed and has never participated before.

Leave A Reply