TSP deposits after federal service


Q: I was in federal service for three years and contributed to the Thrift Savings Plan. I left federal service more than five years ago, but I still have money in my TSP account, all in the G Fund. It has grown over the past five years by several thousand dollars despite the fact that I have not put any money into the account in those five years. Is there a way I can contribute to TSP even though I am no longer in federal service and have not contributed any money to the fund recently?

A: Yes, you can transfer eligible balances from individual retirement accounts and other employer-sponsored retirement plans into your TSP account.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

  1. Does TSP have any BEAR fund or planning to introduce that type of fund soon? If not then how can I take advantages of Bear FUND?

Leave A Reply