TSP partial withdrawal rules


Q: My husband is 60 years old and plans to leave his federal agency by Dec. 31. Is it possible to do a partial withdrawal (in-service) based on his age, then roll the balance of his Thrift Savings Plan account into an individual retirement account when he leaves his job?

A: Yes, as long as he hasn’t taken a partial withdrawal in the past.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply