Retirement funds


Q. I have been retired from the Postal Service for about 10 years. I made a poor choice when I withdrew all my funds from the TSP. I have about $13,000 of it left in an IRA that is only earning about 1 percent. Is there a similar savings plan that one can invest in, in the private sector. That is a plan that has the various investment options, without the equal employer investment?

A. Yes; an IRA at a discount broker using index funds similar to those available in the TSP. Simply transfer the assets from your current IRA custodian to a discount brokerage IRA.



About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply