Transfer some money to IRA


Q. I am still employed by the federal government and am 63 years old.  Am I permitted to transfer a portion of my TSP to an traditional IRA now, before I retire?  I expect to retire in December.

A. You may take a single age-based, in-service withdrawal and transfer or roll it over to an IRA.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply