TSP and tax time


Q: I withdrew money from my Thrift Savings Plan and now it’s tax time, so we have to pay quite a bit. Will I be able to change the Code 1 into an “L” on Form 1099 so we do not have to pay so much in taxes?

A: No, you can’t just change the code on a 1099 to avoid paying taxes or penalties. If you took an early distribution and don’t meet one of the IRS exceptions, you’ll owe the penalty. Maybe you should consult a CPA before filing your return.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply