Required minimum distribution rule


Q: I will turn age 70½ this year. I have non-Roth IRA accounts apart from my TSP account with the federal government and will be required to start taking withdrawals from those accounts. However, the majority of my retirement savings is with my federal TSP account and I am continuing my participation in this plan while still employed. I plan to continue my employment with the federal government for several more years and have no retirement plans in the near future. I do not wish to make any withdrawals from my TSP account while still employed by the federal government.

My question is: If I am over age 70½ but still employed by the federal government, will any distribution/withdrawal of funds from my TSP account be required?

A: You do not have to begin distributions from your TSP account while you are still employed by the federal government.



About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply