TSP loans and rollover IRA


Q: Before joining the government civilian workforce, I worked as a government contractor and contributed to the company’s retirement plan. When I left the company as a contractor and joined the government, I had to take my retirement fund and roll it over into another investment firm. At that time I put the money into a Franklin Templeton FTB and T Rollover IRA account. It has now been 10 years and the initial investment has only increased by 30 percent. First, can I re-roll that money into my TSP account (which I believe I can), and secondly can it be used to pay back a TSP loan I took out a year ago?

A: You may transfer the IRA money into your TSP account, but your loan must (and should) be repaid with after-tax money.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply