Rolling over funds


Q: I am resigning from a not-for-profit and wish to roll over my
403(b) savings into another retirement savings plan. Would
it be better to roll over to the FERS or into a self-directed IRA?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of both alternatives?
Is either one “un-doable” later if I change careers again?

A: You can’t roll over your 403b account into FERS, but you can transfer it into a TSP account, if you have one. You can later roll your TSP balance into an IRA or another eligible employer sponsored plan if you like, but I’m not sure why you would want to do that.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply