Rolling over deferred compensation pretax fund


Q. I have a State of Kansas deferred compensation 457(b) pretax fund from when I worked for the state. Can I roll this into the Thrift Savings Plan without tax consequences?  If so, how do I go about the process?  If I have to receive a check from the fund directly — not made out to me — I believe I have 60 days in which to get it into another fund.

A. If it contains only pretax money, you may transfer it to the TSP. Use Form TSP-60 and follow the instructions.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply