Vesting requirements


Q. I have resigned from my position with the federal government in order to attend graduate school effective in May and will have been employed for a year and 10 months. I realize I need to be employed for three years for TSP vesting requirements, and I will likely forfeit my automatic 1 percent agency contribution in May, but after grad school, I intend to return to work for the federal government. How does this work with vesting in this situation? Would I be returned the 1 percent agency contribution (plus interest?) upon working an additional year and two months after graduate school, or is it not possible to recover the forfeited amount?

A. All federal civilian service counts toward the Thrift Savings Plan vesting requirements. Your forfeited agency contributions will not be restored, however.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply