TSP withdrawal


Q. I’m considering the Postal Service incentive currently being offered. I would like to withdraw my money when I turn 59½ in November, then pay the fed tax. Where could I invest the remaining balance and draw a small annuity?

A. After you withdraw it and pay the tax, you can invest the money anywhere you like and use some or all of it to purchase an annuity from an insurance company. But why wouldn’t you leave it in the Thrift Savings Plan? You won’t find a better place to invest for retirement income anywhere.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply