Keep your money in the TSP


Q. I retired the end of July 2011. Since then, companies are coming out of the woodwork requesting that I invest my Thrift Savings Plan funds with them because “keeping it in the TSP will not allow growth due to the fact that I am no longer contributing.” But I am hesitating to do anything with it because once I hear their fees, it scares me.

I don’t expect to need the money and would like it to grow into a nice inheritance for my daughter.

I have about 90 percent in the G Fund and the remaining 10 percent divided between the C, S, and I funds.

My daughter is 42 years old, and there is approximately $300,000 in the TSP.

Am I looking at these companies and their fees too conservatively for the 20+ years ahead?

A. Keep your money in the TSP, which will allow you to be as aggressive or conservative as you will want to be. The pitches you’re hearing are an attempt to turn your money into theirs. Ignore them.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

1 Comment

  1. I agree completely with Mr. Miles on this. The TSP has among the lowest, if not the lowest, retirement account management fees available. It’s a benefit worth keeping.

Leave A Reply