Changing TSP contribution


Q. I will retire from the Postal Service this summer. Can I change my contribution to the Thrift Savings Plan to several thousand dollars on my terminal leave check to allow me to not pay taxes and increase my TSP account balance? Congress has not yet finalized this proposal.

A. No.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at


  1. I believe you can contribute any amount you want on a paycheck as long as the other mandatory payments (FEHB, FEGLI, etc.) are made first, and you do not go over the maximum for the year. If nothing else, bump it a $1K or more for several paychecks leading up to your separation, if you have the wherewithal to deal with the shortage. I did this at the end of last year to reduce my annual income.

Leave A Reply