Young couple's retirement contributions


Q. My husband and I are both federal employees. My husband is 30 and has 10½ years. He contributes to the G Fund and, from what I can tell from our leave and earnings statement, it is 5 percent. I am 28 and have three years. I also have a 5 percent contribution to G Fund per our LES. What fund do you recommend we contribute to? We would like to start now to ensure we have a decent retirement. Do you recommend us investing in the new Roth?

A. You should contribute as much as you can afford to put away for retirement in the traditional TSP. Ten percent would be good, if possible. If you’re not sure about the best investment allocation for your account, I suggest that you put the money into the L Fund that corresponds most closely to your life expectancy.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply