Forced to withdraw retirement


Q. I received a packet from my previous employer that I needed to cash out or roll over my funds to an IRA or another retirement fund. I’m 48 years old. Where can I put this fund without having to pay a broker or a financial adviser fee? Is there a fund that I can roll this into without upfront fees or an annual fee?

A. The best place for this money is your Thrift Savings Plan account. You can use form TSP-60 to request the transfer.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply