Spousal IRA


Q. I retired from the federal service in 2012. I understand that I cannot make any further contributions to the Thrift Savings Plan since I am no longer a federal employee, and that I cannot undertake a traditional or Roth IRA in 2013 unless I have wages. What I am not clear about is the spousal IRA. It appears to me that because my spouse is still working, I could contribute to a traditional IRA in 2013 as a nonworking spouse if he and I met the income and joint filing qualifications. If this is true, could I then transfer that spousal IRA to the TSP even though I am a retiree?

A. Yes.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply