State taxes on TSP withdrawals?


Q. All of my Thrift Savings Plan deposits are in the G Fund. I am a CSRS retiree. Since most of these funds are interest earned on federal bonds, are my withdrawals taxable by the state? I know they are federally taxable. I believe my contributions (which started in 1987) were both federal and state tax deferred, but I can’t recall with certainty. I called the Montana State Revenue once on this and they said they aren’t state-taxable, but I have my doubts.

A. You should consult a qualified tax preparer for the answer. In general,  your withdrawals are taxable, unless your state offers an exception.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply