Q. I have to withdraw my Thrift Savings Plan because of my age (70½).
I am indecisive as to:
1. Withdraw all to a saving account
2. Get a partial withdrawal for 120 months, or
3. Withdraw part of it and gradually withdraw the rest over a 10-year time span.
My considerations are:
1. No taxes, as I understand it, over a period greater than 10 years on a gradual withdrawal
2. Putting me into a higher tax bracket.
What advice or comments can you give me?
A. Unless you can come up with a good reason – that is, using actual estimates of costs, taxes, etc., rather than just qualitative statements – I don’t know why you would take any more than the required minimum distribution each year.