TSP and workers' compensation


Q. I am a Postal Service employee who has civil service retirement and has been on workers’ compensation for several years now and probably will not go back to work. Can I get my Thrift Savings Plan money now as payments or do I have to retire first? Also, how can I add money into my TSP if I can’t take it out?

A. As I understand it, unless you have separated from covered service, you will be subject to the TSP’s restrictions for in-service withdrawals. You should call the Thrift Line to be sure, however.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply