How to pay the IRS for early withdrawal penalties


Q. I am expecting to receive a payment from a pension plan for which I am expecting to be charged the 10 percent early withdrawal penalty. What is the best method to pay that penalty and avoid any additional penalties for not withholding sufficient taxes when I file my annual returns in April?  Can I send the money to the Internal Revenue Service ahead of my regular tax filing? If so, what form do I use to remit it?

A. This is a question for your tax preparer.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply