TSP loan


Q. I’m eligible to retire CSRS Offset in a few months. I was considering a Thrift Savings Plan loan prior to retiring to pay off other bills. I understand that upon retirement/separation, I would receive a Form 1099 for taxable income. Is this something I should consider?

A. If you don’t repay your outstanding loan balance within 90 days of separation from service, the amount due will be declared a taxable distribution and will be treated as though you took the money from your account on the date of the declaration. I believe that you should always consider all reasonable options when it comes to making important financial decisions.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply