TSP loans and furlough


Q. I have seen quite a few questions (and answers) about how to request that Thrift Savings Plan loan payments be suspended during the government shutdown, but no detailed information about exactly how to continue to make payments should one want to do that. When during the regular pay cycle should one send in a payment check with the appropriate form? When we go back to work, and if back pay is given, will the loan payments for the entire period of furlough, or perhaps the last pay period only, be taken out? How long of a period of nonpayment may there be before the tax penalties kick in?

A. If you are in nonpay status for reasons other than active military service:

The maximum period that the TSP can suspend loan payments is one year.

If your nonpay period exceeds one year, your loan will be automatically reamortized and you must make payments from your personal funds to avoid being in default.

Interest on your loan accrues while your payments are suspended.

If you want to continue making loan payments while in nonpay status, you can do so by sending a personal check or money order to the TSP. Use Form TSP-26, Loan Payment Coupon, when sending in your payments. Your payments will be taken into account when the loan is reamortized upon your return to pay status.

When you begin your period of nonpay status, you or your agency must submit one of the following forms of documentation to the TSP:

Form TSP-41, Notification to TSP of Nonpay Status; or

Form SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action; or

A letter on agency or service letterhead, signed by an appropriate agency official or your commander or adjutant, that contains your name, date of birth and Social Security number; the beginning date of the nonpay status; and the signature and title of the agency or service representative providing the information; or

A copy of your military orders.

When you return from nonpay status, you must notify the TSP of your date of return. You can use any type of documentation described in the above section. Once your agency notifies the TSP of your return, your loan will be reamortized to place it in good standing.

Note: If your agency reports you as separated from civilian service to perform military service, you will be required to repay your loan in full within 90 days. If you don’t, the outstanding loan balance and any unpaid interest will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service as a taxable distribution.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply