401(k)-to-CSRS rollover


Q. I am the 401(k) specialist for our tribal government. We have a former employee who wants to roll over his 401(k) into making a deposit in CSRS. Is this possible? A transfer from CSRS into a 401(k) is not allowed, so should his attempted rollover be allowed?

A. This is not allowed. CSRS deposits are made with after-tax money.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply