Depositing post-tax money into TSP


Q. My wife is a federal employee with 28 years of service and is covered by FERS. She plans on retiring soon, and we have heard that she can take funds (post-tax) and dump them into the Thrift Savings Plan equaling the cumulative difference through the years of what she was unable to put into the TSP. Can you shed any light on this info?

A. You may not ever deposit post-tax money into a TSP account, and, except for Federal Erroneous Retirement Coverage Corrections Act cases, there is no provision to make up past contributions that could have been made but were not.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply