TSP partial withdrawal and taxes


Q. I did a partial withdrawal from my Thrift Savings Plan last year at age 60. How do I report the income on my tax return? Is it strictly income? Are there no capital gains to report? If there are gains, how do I determine what the gains were?

A. You will receive a 1099 reporting the distribution, which will be taxed entirely as ordinary income.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply