G Fund vs. L Fund options for TSP account


Q. I am a 49-year-old FERS employee, and I have been contributing to my TSP account for the last 8 years. I am contributing 100 percent to the G Funds because I was told that is safer, but I don’t see my money growing fast enough, and to be honest I don’t really understand the different options available to me. I have at least 13 more years of service before retirement and need to see my money grow faster. Please advise where should I be contributing my money. The options I have are:

  • G Fund Government Securities
  • F Fund Fixed Income Index
  • C Fund Common Stock Index
  • S Fund Small Cap Stock Index
  • I Fund International Stock Index

A. You also have the option to contribute to the L Funds, and given your lack of understanding, you should consider doing so. If you’re interested in taking your planning and investment management to the next level, you may contact me through my website at www.variplan.com.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply