Moving state pay into TSP


Q. I’m a retired federal employee and contributed to the TSP during my career. I’ve not taken a withdrawal. I’m 53 and started a new job as a state employee. I signed up for their state-sponsored 457 retirement account. Will I be able to roll that money into my TSP when I retire or leave my state employment?

A. Yes, as long as it doesn’t contain any after-tax contributions.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply