Rolling TSP into annuity


Q. I am retiring in July 2015. I want to roll my TSP into an annuity plan outside of the TSP. I believe it would be called an in-service rollover. I will be 57 years old with 30 years at the postal service. Can I do this now, and is there a penalty or tax problem? If not now, is there any reason I couldn’t do the rollover after I retire without penalty?

A. This is not allowed in-service until you reach age 59 1/2. After that, or after you retire, no problem.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply