One-time TSP distribution


Q. I was involuntarily separated from federal service due to downsizing. I have a TSP account that has been untouched since I left federal service. An existing loan was automatically treated as a distribution at the time I left service. I am 59 1/2 years old and would like to take a one-time distribution from my account. Will the TSP allow me to take the distribution? Can I do this electronically? What forms do I need to submit?

A. The declared distribution does not count as a request for a partial lump-sum distribution. You may use the TSP website or submit form TSP-77 to request a partial distribution from your account.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply