IRA purchase


Q. I’m a federal employee contributing to the full capacity in the TSP program. Can I also purchase an IRA (Roth or conventional) and report to the IRS on my tax return?

A. The answer depends upon your income and marital status. You should review IRS Publication 590 for the eligibility rules.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply