TSP withdrawal at 70 1/2


Q. I turned 70 ½ this past April. I want to withdraw the minimum required before the end of this year to avoid getting taxed more next year. How do I request this?

A. You may make your request through www.tsp.gov, or by using either form TSP-70 or form TSP-77 to request a partial lump-sum and/or regular monthly payments. Once you start regular monthly payments, the TSP will make sure that your distribution requirement is met each year.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply