TSP allocation


Q. I retired from 35 years of federal service about 3 1/2 years ago. Now I am 63 years old, and I have been receiving FERS retirement pension, Army Reserve pension and Social Security. I also have TSP of about 360,000. I do not need TSP right now; however, which fund in TSP should I keep my balance? Currently, I have G Fund, C Fund and I Fund.

A. If only it were that simple. In order to determine the correct investment allocation, you’ll need to consider your needs in the future, not just your needs today. If you’re not prepared to figure out which allocation is right for you, or willing to find someone who will, then I suggest that you use the L Fund that most closely matches your life expectancy and hope for the best.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply