TSP withdrawal


Q. I withdrew some of my TSP savings to blunt the impact of the economic crash. I thought this would not count against me. Now when I tried to set up a monthly withdrawal, I find that It is counted against me and that the only “option” is full withdrawal. Are there other ways to access my money? I’m considering rolling over to a different IRA.

A. Monthly payments from the TSP are a form of full withdrawal. If you want to start them, file form TSP-70. A prior partial withdrawal will not prevent you from doing this.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply