Rollover private 401(k) to TSP


Q. I about to start working as a new federal employer soon. When I do join the federal agency, I’m deciding if I should roll over my 401(k) from my previous employer to my new TSP account. The question that I have is if I need to take a loan on my TSP, would the funds I roll over to my account be eligible for a general or residence loan?

A. Since your transferred 401(k) will be vested once it is in your TSP account, it will be eligible to serve as the basis for a TSP loan.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply