Full TSP withdrawal after early separation


Q. I’m only 26 years old, with nine years of federal service. I recently was forced to resign due to unforeseen circumstances. After I pay off the outstanding balance on a TSP loan, and request a full withdrawal (single payment), to what percentage of my TSP balance am I entitled?

A. You will be entitled to withdraw the vested balance from your account, which always includes your own contributions and earnings and your agency’s 1 percent automatic contributions and earnings. Your agency’s matching contributions and earnings will also be available after you meet the time of service requirement for vesting those funds, which is usually 2 or 3 years of civilian federal service, depending upon your agency.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply