Catch Up contribution IRA vs TSP


Q. From private industry, I have both a traditional and Roth IRA. As a govt civil servant, I contribute to my TSP. Instead of putting catch up contributions into my TSP, can I place the catch up contribution to my Individual IRA?

A. Contribution limits are different between IRA accounts and the TSP, and the rules limiting contributions are complex. This is a question for your tax accountant.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply