Rolling CSRS VCP contributions into Roth IRA


Q. I want to deposit 10 percent aggregate base pay into the CSRS Voluntary Contribution Program (VCP). How do I get my total accumulated pay over my entire CSRS work history? I worked at three Veterans Affairs centers. What forms are needed to roll the contributions into a Roth IRA? I have a traditional TSP, also.

A. From the Office of Personnel Management: “If you have a question about your voluntary contributions account or need to update your mailing address, please call us, toll-free, at 1-888-828-9451 from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. In the Washington, DC area, you can reach us at 202-606-0706. TTD users can call us toll-free at 1-800-878-5707. In the Washington, DC area, you can reach us at 202-606-0551. If you have special needs, there are now more ways to communicate with us. Check out the Telecommunication Services for Deaf & Hard of Hearing (external link) services offered by the General Services Administration.

You may also contact us at or write to the following address:
US Office of Personnel Management
Voluntary Contributions
1900 E Street, NW, Room 3H30
Washington, DC 20415

Deposits to your account should be made by direct payment or sent to the following address:
US Office of Personnel Management
PO Box 979035
St. Louis, MO 63197

Your voluntary contributions may not exceed 10 percent of the total basic pay you received during all of your Federal service. Prior to your retirement, you are encouraged to contact us to discuss your options regarding your voluntary contributions account. In most instances, your account will not earn interest beyond the date of your separation from Federal service. Informing us your decision early will help ensure that your refund is promptly paid and will help you avoid any loss in interest earnings.”

Use form RI38-124 to request the refund of your contributions and engage a CPA to help you make sure that the funds are rolled over and converted to a Roth IRA properly.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply