Annual 72(t) withdrawal


Q. I am retiring in April after 30 years and 9 months of federal service with the Department of State. I intend to do Separate Equal Periodic Payments of $2,500 a month. Do I request the full year’s amount for this year ($30,000) or is it just the 8 months that I am retired ($20,000)?

A. The rules governing 72(t) withdrawals are complex and, in some instances, unclear. You should seek the guidance of a CPA before initiating these withdrawals.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply