Choices after the Social Security supplement


Q. I retired with FERS at age 60 with 31 years at the U.S. Postal Service under the Social Security supplement. Can I delay my Social Security when my supplement ends and earn the 8 percent each year until I pick the year I want it to start? Is there a special day to apply that ensures that 8 percent is included in the year I apply?

A. You may wait as long as you like to claim your Social Security benefit, and it will grow according to the usual rules. The growth in the benefit is prorated, and not adjusted annually, so there is no magic day that nets you the entire annual increase.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply