Accessing remainder of TSP after partial withdrawal


Q. Under the TSP partial withdrawal option, I can rollover a portion of my balance after I retire to an IRA. There is nothing that tells me when or how I can access the remaining balance. Under the full withdrawal option I can rollover a portion of my balance to an IRA and get the remainder in immediate monthly installments. I would like to rollover a portion but possibly delay distribution of the monthly installments for approximately one year. Can I do this under the partial withdrawal option?

I am FERS, 57 years old with 30.5 years of service when I retire in December 2018 and have no prior withdrawals from my TSP (and no Roth account).

A. You’ll need to file form TSP-77 to request a partial withdrawal without triggering monthly distributions.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply