Q. If I make more money than is allowed under the Special Retirement Supplement for a given year, and make $0 because of the SRS penalty $1 for every $2 earned, but lose my job the following year and don’t work again, would I then start getting my SRS back at the same rate that I was getting before I exceeded the maximum earned income, or would it be gone forever? Would this apply also for getting a partial reduced SRS and losing a job but not the whole SRS? Will it go back to the original amount, or be at the lower amount for good?

A. Your SRS will resume as if it had not been offset, once the offset ends.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply