CSRS (offset) retiree and Social Security


Q. As a retired CSRS (offset), I receive my pension along with a separate Social Security benefit that was reduced by WEP. My spouse receives Social Security through their own work. Am I eligible for any portion of my spouse’s Social Security?

A. You may be eligible for Social Security spouse’s or widower’s benefits, but any benefit may be reduced or eliminated entirely by the Government Pension Offset.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com and view his blog at money.federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply