Q. All of my TSP funds are in the traditional TSP. Can I transfer the balance in my Roth IRA to a Roth TSP account (either now or after I retire), even though I have never contributed to the Roth TSP?
Browsing: Roth TSP
Q. I will be retiring from the U.S. Postal Service in September after 30 years. I started Roth deposits in my TSP in 2014. I know if I withdraw before five years (Jan. 1, 2019), the interest portion from the Roth part will be taxable along with the conventional part. If I withdraw monthly before Jan. 1, 2019, will the interest in the Roth portion become tax-exempt after Jan. 1, 2019, or do I have to wait until Jan. 1, 2019, to start withdrawals to keep the Roth portion tax-exempt later on?
Q: Because of the limited ability to withdraw TSP funds in a totally efficient manner for me, I am considering rolling my TSP account to Vanguard in two years when I retire. Vanguard provides the ability to withdraw Roth funds separate from 401k funds in any amounts I desire. As I understand, TSP requires withdraws to be equally prorated between 401k and Roth, based on the total balance. How does a TSP transfer occur … are the TSP Roth funds moved to a Vanguard rollover Roth fund and the TSP 401k funds placed in a taxable rollover account? It seems…
Q. I will be 56 in August, already have 32 years of service at USPS and I am a FERS employee. I started contributing to the Roth TSP 5 years ago. If I withdraw anything from my TSP in 2018, will I be penalized because as I recently found out all dispersals come from both the regular TSP and the Roth proportionally. Do I have to be 59 1/2 to get penalty free withdrawal from Roth TSP or am I good at my MRA + 30 retirement? I thought I had read if you retired on an unreduced retirement that there were…
Q. I just retired last month from federal service. My Ameriprise adviser has advised me to move my TSP (which is about $800,000) over to an IRA with Ameriprise and then move some of that amount over to a Roth with Ameriprise. Can I convert my TSP to a Roth TSP? If not, then should I transfer some, none or all of my TSP over to Ameriprise?
Q. I have a separate Roth IRA with a fiduciary adviser, but my TSP consistently out performs my Roth. Is there any benefit to cashing out my Roth and starting to contribute to the TSP Roth account? I am 45 years old and have a total of $150,000 in my Roth account. I am currently maximizing my traditional TSP contributions.
Q. I am a 54-year-old FERS employee and have 27 years of federal service. I have a TSP account and would like to start a Roth TSP this year. I will probably work until I am 62 years old. At age 60, when my girls start college, can I take a withdraw from my Roth TSP to pay for their college without penalty?
Q. I want to make my overall TSP more conservative. I am 56, and my TSP is very substantial (20 years’ worth of maxed-out contributions) and so are my other retirement assets. I am not feeling very risk tolerant. Currently I have 85 percent of my TSP in L2030. The other 15 percent is my last 3½ years of contributions (with catch-up) that I put in a 70/15/15 mix of C/S/I. I was thinking of moving the last 15 percent to L2030, or even moving that 15 percent into G or F/G. There was a period in the past 3½ years when I was…
Q. I heard that if you have a Roth TSP and make withdrawals before 59½, the exception under the Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act does not apply to the earnings portion of the Roth TSP. (I know if you transfer money to a an outside Traditional IRA or Roth IRA, you lose exception). I am a federal agent who qualifies as a public safety employee, and I’m retiring at age 56. I have money in both a traditional TSP and Roth TSP. I plan to start withdrawing upon retirement. Will I be penalized for having a Roth TSP?