Supplemental pension


Q. I heard that there is a way to receive a supplement to your federal retirement at age 62 so that you can delay drawing Social Security. I will have 14 years of federal service when I retire at age 62. I am 60
now. Is this the case?

A. A FERS Special Retirement Supplement will not be paid after you reach age 62, whether or not you claim Social Security at that time. You are not required to claim your Social Security benefit when the Supplement ends.


About Author

Mike Miles is a Certified Financial Planner licensee and principal adviser for Variplan LLC, an independent fiduciary in Vienna, Virginia. Email your financial questions to and view his blog at

Leave A Reply