Q. My concern about the impact of a federal debt default on TSP accounts is that my account would be subject to bankruptcy as a federal government asset, and therefore be reduced to something like $0.10 on the dollar. Are the funds mine or those of the federal government?
Browsing: G Fund
Q. Both the president and OMB nominee have floated the idea of defaulting on national debt in order to settle it at a lower cost. What impact would there be on TSP accounts if debt were defaulted upon?
Q. I have been investing for 10 years in the G Fund with minimal gains. I recently put 50 percent toward the S Fund and 50 percent toward the C Fund. Was that a smart move? I have to retire in 10 years (mandatory 57 years old).
Q. With interest rates likely to rise, driving the value of bond funds down, in the near term, doesn’t this impact the ability of the F Fund to ameliorate risk? Would you advise against new F Fund investments in these circumstances, or is there still a role for F Fund investments?
Q. I have been considering moving TSP money into the G Fund to have it exempt from New Jersey state income tax. My search for an answer leaves me with confusing information regarding exemption from state tax which talks about “direct” obligations and qualified mutual funds which invest in federal obligations and bonds. To summarize: Since savings bonds, etc. are exempt from state tax, and the G Fund is made up entirely of federal obligations, couldn’t that fund be exempt?
Q. I’ve been a GS employee going on six years, and I currently invest 20 percent of pay into TSP. I had been putting my funds into the L Fund 2020 (70 percent) and G Fund (30 percent), and just changed to the L fund 2040 (85 percent), C Fund (10 percent) and G Fund (5 percent). Is this a good way to invest my funds or should I place all of it in the L Fund 2040? I only have just over $24,000 in my TSP account. I’m 49 years old and probably plan to work at least another 15 years.
Q. You often express the virtues of the TSP, such as simplicity and low fees, but you also cite that the TSP offers eligible investors (i.e., federal employees, retirees and survivors) the unique G Fund. Besides being composed of “special-issue” Treasury bonds, can you elaborate on why the G Fund is a unique and valuable tool for managing ones portfolio and how one can best use the G Fund?
Q. I’m late out the gate with my TSP account, however I’m excited that the C Fund is on a gaining streak right now. I used to have my 5 percent going to the G Fund, then whatever total amount I had in the G Fund I switched it completely over to the C Fund. I also added another 1 percent, so now I have a total of 6 percent of my paycheck going into the C Fund. I’m only a Grade 7 so finances are a little tight, and I’m sure they are going to be even tighter when it comes time…